Aesthetic technique that allows the body to be sculpted by the cold.
History of Cryolipolysis
Rox Anderson, considered the father of the dermatological laser and a distinguished member of the Harvard University Medical School, has spent part of his career developing laser cellulite treatments.
Disappointed by the lack of results, he once had the ingenious idea of using an intrinsic property of fat tissues and the cells that make them up (adipocytes) and their high sensitivity to cold to develop a device to cool the tissues in order to destroy fat.
This sensitivity to cold has been known for a long time, as documented by the many descriptions of reaction of fatty tissue (panniculitis) caused by cold in female riders or by too cold ice cream in children.
He therefore had the intuition to treat the beads with cold by cooling them with the help of a specially designed handle.
Clinical validation studies on the first cryolipolysis machine were conducted at Wellma Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, a teaching hospital affiliated with Harvard Medical School, and confirmed excellent results.
Operating principle of cryolipolysis
Cryolipolysis means the destruction of fat by cold. It aims to crystallize the fat contained in fat cells (adipocytes) in order to trigger their "programmed death" (apoptosis).Cryolipolysis therefore exploits the sensitivity of the fat cells (adipocytes) to cold by exposing the desired areas to intensive and deep cooling for one hour.The fat cells are thus damaged and then affected in two stages:
- A part of the fat cells is directly affected during the session and will be evacuated by the lymphatic system* 2,4
- Another part is naturally self-destructive and is gradually metabolized in a few weeks by the liver 2,4 In summary, adipocytes are sensitive to cold.
To whom and for which indications is cryolipolyse adapated ?
- Cryolipolysis is designed to reduce localized adiposity. The ideal client is therefore a person who is not obese (BMI <30) but who wishes to reduce localized and concentrated excess fat such as on the abdomen, love handles, inner and outer thighs, saddlebags, back or arms.
Benefits of Cryolipolysis
- Non invasive– no needles
- No pain– no anesthesia
- No secondary effects
- Significative results (10 to 30% reduction in treated bulges) after 1 session (results depend on people)
- Lasting effects, over time. The fat cells that are destroyed don't come back...
- Proven technology in aesthetic medicine
- Possibility of coupling with most treatments
- Cryolipolysis involves no social eviction and the client can resume normal activity immediately.
- This technique allows a significant reduction of fat, without the usual complications of more invasive methods such as liposuction.
A cryolipolysis session in practice
The area to be treated is evaluated and measured by the aesthetician in order to assess the amount of hypodermic fat present and to choose the most appropriate parameters for the area to be treated. A measurement of the skin fold and the abdominal perimeter are also carried out, as well as the taking of photographs which will allow the effect of the treatment to be monitored and its effectiveness to be objectively evaluated.
The client sits comfortably in the treatment chair. The cryolipolysis machine aspirates the bead to be treated into a specially designed handle. The fat is heated for 5 minutes and then cooled for 55 minutes. A gel-soaked protective film protects it from the cold.
At the end of the session, which is often very relaxing for the client, the cooled area is massaged vigorously to accentuate the anti-fat effects.After activating the handle, the client feels a sensation of intense cold for a few minutes.This sensation quickly disappears. The patient is comfortably seated or lying down during the procedure, which lasts from 1 to 3 hours.
Many clients read, use their laptop or even sleep during a session.The sensation after the session is that of skin that feels tight, as if tightened, and of a much more compact, less flabby fat volume.
Results with cryolipolysis
A reduction of the subcutaneous fat layer of 1% to 30% may occur after a Cryolipolysis session.The various reviews of studies, report a decrease in volume of the treated fat pad from 14.67% to 28.5% with an average of 19.55%,1 , 2The results become visible after 2 to 3 months and correspond approximately to a loss of circumference of 1 to 1.5 cm per session.
Results 6 weeks after a Cryolipolysis* session (results vary according to individuals and treated areas)
Results six weeks after one cryolipolysis* (results vary according to individuals and treated areas)
Results 8 weeks after a session (love handles)* (results vary according to individuals and treated areas)
Medical literature reports that the results of cryolipolysis are visible in 84% to 86% of those treated. 3, 4 20% of the final result is observed after 15 days;60% of the final result is observed after 6 weeks; 80% of the final result is observed after 2 months;100% of the final result is observed after 3 months;
Number of sessions advised
A second Cryolipolysis session can take place 1 to 2 months after the first session, which further improves the results obtained 5.These results depend on the age of the fat, the presence or not of cellulite and the sex of the client (better efficacy in men).The reduction in fat thickness is greater in patients with limited and more discreet fat pads.Some of the fat cells (adipocytes) treated are corrupted and die (apoptosis) because they are sensitive to cold. As long as the client maintains her weight by monitoring her diet and exercise, the results of a long-term session remain stable for most of the time.
An illustrated video session
Results differ between studies, but 82% to 91% of clients appear to be satisfied with the procedure, of which 82% to 89% would recommend it to a friend. 3, 6
Tips to improve the results of Cryolipolysis
After a Cryolipolysis session and for three months, it is recommended to :
- Weighing yourself every day
- Try to lose 50 gr every day
- Three to four days a week, follow a 4P diet, i.e. do not eat bread, pasta, potatoes and pastries..
- On these days, eat a diet rich in vegetables and proteins.
- Do not drink more than 2 coffees a day (coffee increases oestrogen which leads to an increase in calorie storage).
- Never drink fruit juices or sweetened drinks, whether they are light or normal.
- Replace sweetened drinks with sparkling, lightly flavoured water
- Drink 2 litres of water per day
- Twice a week, take a long walk (ideally two hours)
The best results by Cryolipolysis are observed when the post-treatment period coincides with a slight weight loss of 1 to 3 kilos.
How much cost a cryolipolysis session for the clients?
Usually an expert in cryolipolysis asks the client for 300€ to 360€ per treated area for one hour. The satisfaction rate being very high, a customer will on average treat up to 3 areas of the body.
What is the price of a professionnal cryolipolysis device ?
A Cryolipolysis machine can cost from €5999 for a portable device to €20,000 for medical devices. Portable devices are more economical but are not as powerful as larger models. Even if the surface of the handle sometimes reaches -10°, their reduced power does not allow them to "suck" the heat from the deepest layers of the skin. These models will therefore cool mainly the upper layers and be less effective on the larger beads (> 4cm).
Looking for a cryolipolysis device ?
|Our laboratory, which specialises in the development of non-invasive anti-ageing techniques, has developed a cryolipolysis machine with specialists from the medical and aesthetic world and a team of experienced engineers.|